Friday, August 29, 2008

Whelks and Leaves, Oil on 11x14 Canvas

Here is a little painting which was one of three selected for a local juried "small works" painting show this past summer. This is only 11x14. I have been doing more of these little ones inspired by the Daily Painters Blog. I have the two others from this series to share. I find it good practice to set up still lives. I was intrigued and challenged by the shape of these shells. These were shells gathered from the Longport, NJ beach after a Nor'easter. I grew up going to this beach and it was fun to pair the shells with my Pennsylvania leaves. I don't know if I caught the shape of the shells exactly, but I had fun trying.

9 comments:

Barbara Pask said...

Congrats on the show. I like this, interesting composition and I love the colors in the shells. Never tried shells, hmmmmmm.

Katie said...

Wonderful colors and shapes in this little painting! Cool that you're in a show.

dive said...

You didn't get to eat the whelks?
Swizz!
The coolness of the shells against the hot colours of the leaves is a lovely, refreshing contrast.
The show sounds like it could be great fun.
And for someone who's too busy to blog right now, you're setting quite a pace!

neetzy said...

Barbara,
Shells are challenging but fun! The shells had the beautiful orange color. I did not make that up. I had difficulty with the fronts of the shells.

neetzy said...

Katie,

Fun colors, shapes might be a little "off". I had three in the small works show and one in the Yorkfest Juried Show. Only 23 artistswere selected out of 95. They selected my Sacred Grove paining. Go back to my archives!

neetzy said...

Yo Dive,
I've never eaten Whelks. I've only found their empty shells. Are they delicious? I AM insanely busy right now, but my blog looked ugly and empty without a painting.

dive said...

They can be delicious, but they can also be a bit of a chewing exercise if not cooked properly, Neetzy.
Don't work too hard!

Barbara said...

Neetzy, How much work can you produce on Maalox and no sleep? I personally think that your student teacher is very lucky to work under /with you. The shells seem like a departure from the norm. I will investigate Bob's website to see how he influenced you.
I've been busy getting 2 kids off to College- one down, one to go!

neetzy said...

Dive,
I think I'm on some kind of adrenaline autopilot right now...

Barbara...Wow sending two kids off to college? That must be emotional and exciting all at the same time! I'll send you some of my maalox.