Friday, June 13, 2014
So my latest painting in progress. It needs a few fixes. I like to post these on here because I can see the glitches better. Some of it is oil paint shine. I also need to tweak that flower on the right. I will also go over the darks in the back. Some of the streaking is caused by glare, however.
So I'm in this Old Masters' Style Flower phase. I am studying with a painter who studied at the Schuler School of Art in Baltimore. She is very knowledgeable and a good friend. She makes home made Maroger medium and her husband hand crafts weighted wooden palettes. It is very old school but I am enjoying the process. I find it very meditative.
I started this painting in March when I picked up a pot of Parrot Tulips at the garden center. Their color and shape intrigued me. Of course, they looked nothing like they did the following week so I used photos that I took. I also borrowed some photos of leaves and buds. The flower on the right is purely manufactured from my imagination so I will have to revisit it. I have been using Monarch and Sable brushes, Maroger medium and Grumbacher Paint. I'm thinking of just painting my mutant Rhubarb plant next.