Sunday, August 9, 2009

Conewago Creek Study with Palette Knife


I haven't posted a painting in a while. This is a small 12x12 square. Just thought I'd let you know that yes, I have been painting. I have been experimenting in the studio. I know. I'm not doing plein air. WTF. So I'm "cheating". Say what you will. I don't give a flying F. Painting is Painting. I am using my own damn photos but I am PAINTING. Besides, I find that painting outside in the mid to late summer around here is unbearable. It is too hot, humid and green. Everything is virtually the same shade of green. I will wait until early fall to attempt painting out of doors. Anyhoo. I am posting three views of the same painting. I was having some difficulty with the water - getting too pickly-tickly - not wanting to spoil the flatness of it and I says to myself WTF go crazy with a palette knife. Get thick and juicy and don't worry about details.




I had lots of fun and the reason I am posting three photos is because I do not have good editing software on my laptop. The editing software does not crop properly. It is not set up to crop "square formats." I have to go to work and use Photoshop to do that. So please excuse the weird little "edges". If you click on the images you should be able to see the juicy, thick paint.



I like the thick, shimmering quality of these paintings. You must know that I underpainted the canvas with a Golden Acrylic Vat Orange. I did not use a brush. I scratched through the paint to reveal the underpainting in the trees. I am working on a 20"x20" as well. I will post it soon. I appreciate your thoughts and comments.

8 comments:

dive said...

Juicy, thick and delicious, Neetzy.
I see Monet and Cezanne, but mostly I see Neetzy, which is wonderful.
The whole painting simply glows.

Lovely.

Janelle Goodwin said...

Wow, you really came back to painting totally refreshed. This painting is really, really amazing, Neetzy. I'm so looking forward to seeing more of your work!!!

neetzy said...

Dive,

I was after the "juicy, thick and delicious" look, Thanks! I was attacking the canvas. I let it dry for a few days and then I would come back and attack it again. I liked the result!

Janelle,
Thanks. I've been working on this a while. I guess I'm doing less in quantity, but these take longer. I have to wait a few days for the paint to set a little between layers. I am working on another. I started it about a month ago. I didn't like it. I decided to try the attack approach with palette knife, rags, clay tools, stretcher corners etc. I'm liking it better.

Katie said...

Lovely painting! It's so fun to be able to enlarge the photo and really see your thick brush strokes. As much as I like Fall colors, these colors are beautiful, and I agree with Dive that it really glows.

Kat Mortensen said...

I love this too, Neetzy. I really like the touches of pink in amidst the verdant colours.
I wrote a poem last summer called, "The Greenery". It was about exactly what you said, everything virtually the same shad of green. So much green! My backyard looks like the Amazon rainforest, but for a smattering of crimson monarda.

Kat

neetzy said...

Katie,

Thanks. Isn't it amazing to get the close up view? I do that with my old painting teacher's paintings. He uses very thick paint! I didn't use a brush at all here.

Kat,

I actually took this reference photo in May. There are more pinks and yellows in May. In late July & August everything is much the same green. That's why I don't do much painting on location. I would say it's quite "jungular" around my place. I have some pink, red and yellow roses, a few purple coneflowers and black-eyed susans for contrast. But the Queen Anne's Lace is taking over my garden. I love it so I will not pull it.

Barbara Pask said...

Very nice Anita. Love the colors and texture. I see nothing wrong with painting in the studio considering that is where I do most of mine, lol.

neetzy said...

Hi Barb,

Thanks so much.

I only say that b/c I had been criticized for painting from photos by a fellow blogger. Ideally, I would paint from life all the time, but life isn't always ideal. I think it is more important to show up and paint! I think it is important to learn how to paint from life, but I always use an image as a point of departure. There is much to learn regardless of the source.